While Google and many other companies do their best to keep the internet safe for all to use, there are still loop holes designed to steal your information. Whether it’s personal information, financial information or using your computer as a means to gain access, hackers have grown more and more sophisticated over time and it’s not going to get any better.
One of the newest ways of attacking your data and stealing from you is through a form of extortion. It’s a malware that attacks multiple different levels of vulnerabilities called, “Ransomware.” Basically, hackers take over your website until you’ve paid them a sum of money to release it.
Intelligent and skilled – The worst part about it is that all of it can be avoided through very simple security measures that most of us overlook. It relies on a string of failures across several different websites.
This is how it works (if it’s a WordPress website):
1. The website is hacked through either a vulnerability or forced entry. It can also be through simple means such as guessing your password or an outdated plugin.
2. Codes are installed on the website. The code redirects visitors to an infected website that is running Nuclear Exploit Kit. This prevents Google from warning you as the redirects go through multiple different websites and the sites that are part of the redirect are changed.
3. Once the visitor is on the redirected site the nuclear exploit kit finds vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Silverlight or Flash Plugin.
4. Once the vulnerability is found, it installs the TeslaCrypt Ransomware.
5. All files are encrytped until the owner pays a ransom to get it decrypted.
DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU
Take The Time to Secure Your Website
This means they could be overlooking simple yet effective website security measures such as stronger passwords or failure to update a plugins. TeslaCrypt relies on several different vulnerable WordPress websites for them to set up their redirects. It’s always scanning until it finds a string of vulnerable websites for it to use in it’s extortion scheme.
While there is a way to uncrack it, it isn’t foolproof and it’s best to just take preventive measures instead. You can easily avoid getting infected by proactive, precautionary measures. Check this link out to learn how to uncrack your site if it’s been infected. Telsa Crack
By the end of 2015, there were around 500,000 Malware sites. The chances of you visiting one of these sites has gone up exponentially when you take these numbers into consideration. Google tries to find all of these hacked websites to warn users before the view the sites, but Google isn’t perfect and can’t find them all.
Also, there are around 300,000 Phishing sites impersonating reputable companies such as your bank for example. This has more than doubled since the summer of 2015. These sites are harder and harder to tell the difference between the real site and the hacked site.
How do you protect your website and information from attackers?
1. Use Strong Passwords: Passwords are the easiest ways hackers can exploit your system. Why are they so easy? People make their passwords easy and use their animal names or anniversaries. They use the same passwords for every website they login to. They are so easy most hackers can guess their way into a website setting up for an attack on your personal information. Use websites like www.passwordgenerator.net to create secure passwords. If you aren’t good at remember passwords use this site to help Lastpass. I love that website to store all my passwords. Then you only have to remember one password.
2. Update your plugins – make sure all your plugins are up to date and regularly maintain this.
3. Out of Date Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Silverlight or a Flash Plugin. These also need to be reguarlay checked or updated.
4. Use 2-Step Verification: Having two-step verification on your personal g-mail or other logins can eliminate the risk completely. Google authenticator is a 2-step verification system that uses your text messaging to verify it’s you. You can use that plugin on WordPress to secure all your WordPress websites.
Most people think they don’t have any information to steal or that no one would want to hack their website. Sadly, this are a majority of the people that get their information stolen or website hacked. Because they don’t update their website or plugins or use any security measures to prevent hacks.
If you’re not sure if your website is secure or has the securities in place to make sure your site doens’t get hacked, contact us today. Click here to contact the expert.